We sent a questionnaire (below) to all candidates for area director. Click on the candidate's name for their responses. (If the name is not clickable, it's because we have not received responses from them.)
Area B (Shawnigan Lake): Sierra Acton; Bill Savage
Area C (Cobble Hill): Matteus Clement; Darlene Davis; Michael E. Wilson
Area H (North Oyster/Diamond): Bill R. Carter; Mary Marcotte; Murray McNab
Area I (Youbou/Meade Creek): Gail A. Dawson-Russell; Klaus Kuhn
Note: Blaise Salmon (Area A) and Ian Morrison (Area F) are running unopposed. We’re still very much encouraging eligible voters in Area A and F to come out and vote in support of the Drinking Water and Watershed Protection Referendum and the Affordable Housing referendum on October 20th – Every Vote Counts!
- Please tell us a bit about yourself and what made you decide to run in this election?
- Do you support the Drinking Water & Watersheds Protections Service bylaw referendum? Yes; No; Other (please explain below)
- Do you support the Cowichan Housing Association Service Establishment bylaw? Yes; No; Other (please explain below)
- How do you plan to work with other governments within the region, including local First Nations as well as provincial and federal governments?
- One Cowichan supporters have expressed concerns about climate change, especially local impacts on our water resources. What local climate change mitigation and/or adaptation strategies would you support if elected?
- How do you propose managing growth sustainably in the Cowichan Region (e.g. transportation, environmental/agricultural protection, land-use, housing, cost of living)?
- What do you consider the three most pressing issues facing local government and the one most important thing local government should do on each one?
- Our citizen surveys indicate a desire for more consultation and accountability between elected officials and their constituents. If elected, what would your approach be to those issues?