BC Public Opinion Study: 93% Say Water Is Our Most Precious Resource
The Cowichan River on southern Vancouver Island is a Canadian heritage river. (Photo: Cowichan Watershed Board)
- 95% view quality and abundance of fresh water as vitally important to health and well-being in their region.
- 87% agree that local communities should have the right to say "yes" or "no" to decisions affecting their fresh water.
- 89% favour strict province-wide standards for water protection.
- 87% say the provincial government should play the lead role in funding water monitoring.
- 87% of respondents believe the protection of nature and ecosystems should be a top priority.
The Real Estate Foundation has been making grants in support of the health and resilience of natural freshwater systems for many years. We have funded watershed planning, inventory and mapping of streams and lakeshores, and "water-centric" land use planning and education initiatives. Since 2012, Freshwater Sustainability has been one of our three priority granting areas.
Join the conversation
Twitter Poll: What are the top threats to fresh water in BC? TWEET your answers using #THREATS2WATER.