Candace Spilsbury (incumbent)
Social Media: Facebook: Students First Team
* Please tell us a bit about yourself and what made you decide to run in this election?
I have been a teacher, a principal and a senior administrator. I also have a proven track record in the community working on initiatives to support the quality of life for all citizens. For the past 10 years I have been an SD #79 Trustee, including 6 years as Board Chair. I have found this to be the perfect way to fulfill my passions of education, kids and community. I will continue to work hard to achieve success for all students, community collaboration in decision-making and financial accountability. I am running for re-election to ensure we continue to move forward on the good work that has already been started.
* What is your vision for the school district and how would getting elected help achieve it?
I have a clear vision of excellence in education and will continue to work hard to achieve this for our students. My ideas include:
- Supporting the achievement and success of every student in every classroom and in every school (top priority);
- Continuing to be collaborative in decision-making with staff, education partners and the community;
- Continuing to support teachers in the implementation of the new curriculum and new reporting requirements.
- Constructing a new Cowichan Secondary school